Wednesday, April 23, 2014

23 Mobile Things #9: Taking & Editing Photos

I do not use my tablet and smartphone for everything, at least not yet. When it comes to photos, I'm more likely to export them to a desktop computer and edit them with Photoshop Elements rather than try to fix a photo that I can barely see on a tiny screen. And since I do edit photos a lot, I decided to try Color Splurge for this Thing's post, just for a change.

Color Splurge makes photos look dramatic, or makes dramatic photos, or something like that. I could see using it to create a library poster or two, highlighting key elements by coloring them. You'd have to use it sparingly though, because it's such a distinctive look. Even two posters in a row featuring this technique would probably give your patrons the impression that you and your staff only had one design idea. I'm not sure how much use there would be for Color Splurge's color change tools, at least not for library posters. I don't know, maybe if you were playing off of "roses are red, violets are blue" and wanted a photo of red violets or blue roses or something—beyond that, my professional imagination fails me. But I can think of reasons to use it personally. For one thing, I often want to knit a sweater in some other color than the one pictured in the pattern. With this, I could recolor the photo and check out how it looks before committing myself to anything.

Color Splurge itself was fairly easy to use. The instructional video saved me a lot of guesswork, but the ads are obnoxious. (Also, the video needs updating. Where was that reset button the narrator referred to?) It was a bit tricky getting the color and the gray to be where I wanted them to be. I have better control of my fingers than trying to "paint" with a mouse or trackball, but my fingertips are less than precise when working at such a small scale. It was certainly easier using this app on a tablet than a smartphone—having said that, I'll add that I did these two pictures on the iPhone. It wasn't all that hard after I remembered I had a stylus and used it. Although Color Splurge may have been overkill for these pictures. The reason I took them in the first place was because they were the only spots of color in otherwise dormant lawns and bushes; all Color Splurge did was change brown to gray.

Leaves!

Really, there are tiny purple flowers in there somewhere.

No comments: