Wednesday, June 11, 2008

in-between thing: facebook

Make that 23 Things Not Necessarily in Any Particular Order on a Stick. Well before Thing 20 appeared on the horizon, I joined Facebook. Blame peer pressure for this one. One minute, it looked like I could ignore Facebook indefinitely and not miss a thing by doing so. Then within the space of a week, I learned that several members of a mailing list I'm on had joined, that a close friend had just joined, that another close friend had been a member for months...finally curiosity won out.

Does it live up to the hype? I'm not sure yet. Getting constant updates on the status of people I'm not all that close to feels pretty unnecessary. But then, those same updates on my friends' statuses let me feel a little closer. Some of the applications amuse me--many seem like complete wastes of time and of my profile page space. It's probably good that I signed on early. By the time Thing 20 rolls around, I may have a much better sense of how Facebook and I will relate.

No comments: