Monday, June 2, 2008

Thing 2: Perspectives on Library 2.0

Okay, Library 2.0 sounds fun. I mean, this entry has been delayed because when I figured out that all I'd be doing for Thing 2 was reading articles and blogs and watching a video, my motivation just drained away. I wanted to be actively doing things, not just sitting around reading. And there are so many things one can be doing: creating content, sharing content, forming community online...it's going to be a wonderful time to be a user.

I don't know how I'm supposed to fit into the brave new world as a librarian.

Once upon a time, librarians helped patrons navigate the arcana of call numbers and subject headings to find books. They guided patrons through indexes to get them half-hidden journal articles. If a patron had enjoyed all the books of Author A and wanted to read more, a librarian could suggest Author B as a good next read. Through all of this, for the most part, the patrons had questions and the librarians either had answers or had an idea of how to find answers.

We were helping the patrons learn. Well, they (we) have. Now what? Patrons with questions are becoming users who can create their own answers. It seems to me that the commentators were more focused on explaining Library 2.0 than really speculating on the nitty-gritty details of how Libraries 2.0 will really function on a day-to-day basis. It's understandable: so far we're all just speculating on what will happen. But I find myself thinking that there are probably far fewer bank tellers nowadays than before ATMs became ubiquitous and that maybe that's what's going to happen to librarians. People who can do their own banking are probably more than ready to do their own librarianship. Yes, there are still bank tellers--there are still things best done in person at your local bank. There will still be librarians--there will still be things that need the personal touch at libraries. It simply sounds like there won't be as many of those librarians.

You did catch the part at the beginning of this post where I said Library 2.0 and Web 2.0 sound like fun, right? But I would've liked it if some of those commentators had speculated for a moment or two on what roles are left for tech services staff who have fewer books and serials to process, reference librarians who won't be seeing as much of patrons who can now look up their answers from their own computers, and circ staff who can be replaced by self-service check-out machines. But at the same time, I've checked out my own materials without serious injury, researched issues on the Internet and felt proud for finding answers, and have been happy not to have needed to lug home books for my papers--I don't want to go back to the way things were!

No comments: