Friday, May 29, 2009

Thing 38: Screencasting

Wow. This was more fun than I thought it would be, even if the subject matter of my screencast is less than gripping.

Given the Judiciary's restrictions on downloading third-party software, Jing, Wink, and the like weren't candidates. (Screencasting didn't sound like something that would lend itself to a dial-up connection, so I did this at work). I went with ScreenToaster. I caught the hint that there weren't many tutorials for it yet, but I thought their basic introduction video worked pretty well. I wish it had explained how to do subtitles in more detail, though. I would've liked to have stopped and started my subtitles rather than just have one ongoing subtitle through the whole screencast. But I wasn't sure how to stop and start without accidentally deleting all the subtitles I'd already done.

Here's my screencast, thirty-nine mesmerizing seconds of instruction on how to search our online opinions.

Unlike so many Things, I could see us using screencasting here at the law library--heck, if this one was revamped a bit, it could be used, I suppose. I've heard our Public Services staff tell tales of how they've had to try to describe navigating our website to patrons over the phone ("Now look in the upper left...no, upper left...yes, that's it. Do you see...no, look down a bit..."). Maybe we could have some stock screencasts on hand for common navigation questions. In turn, I'm not sure when I would use this at home, but now that I know how to do it, possibilities may present themselves.