Wednesday, June 4, 2014

23 Mobile Things #16: Audio

It's a toss-up as to whether audio or video is the more alien world to me. I mean, at least I'd heard of Vine before I got to Thing #14, and I had an idea of how it worked which turned out to be vague but accurate. I didn't even recognize the names any of the apps listed for this Thing. I ended up choosing Audioboo because the name is cute. (This is maybe not what its designers intended.)

This was still yet another Really Easy App to Use. I'm glad it didn't force me to create an account; I feel like I'm leaving a trail of abandoned accounts behind me. Making my own recording was easy to do. I've owned my iPad since 2011, and I think Audioboo is the first app that's ever used the microphone. I couldn't think of anything profound or witty to say, but my random sentences came out clear and easy to understand.—okay, that might be more due to the quality of the iPad's microphone than anything Audioboo does. I see the description of Audioboo says that you can record up to three minutes of audio. I saw Boos that were much longer than that. Does downloading or posting recordings gives you more time?

This isn't an app I see myself using either personally or professionally. I don't listen to audiobooks and I think I've tried all of one podcast in my life. I'm just not attracted to pure audio. Professionally, well, maybe there's something we could say, but our library is only really oriented to Twitter right now, and there aren't any plans at present for adding in more social media. Although this seems like it might be more useful to us than a six-second video.

No comments: