Wednesday, June 11, 2014

23 Mobile Things #20: Games

I was working my way down the list, beginning to wonder if I'd have to go and find a game app I liked, and then I got to W, which is where the word games were hanging out: Word Abacus, WordCollapse, and Word Wrap. This is the kind of game I like…so I took all three.

Word Abacus

It has a pleasant-looking interface, and the game is easy to understand. But I got bored within a couple of minutes. There's no pressure here, not until you get to Level 3 and the "red letters," and even so, they're not that much of a challenge. Plus, there seem to be some problems with the app itself. One reviewer complained that some of the letters didn't respond when they touched them unless they practically pounded on their iPad, and I found the same to be true of my copy. Not worth the effort, and I've already deleted it.

WordCollapse

I liked this one more. It's more challenging knowing there's a right way to work the puzzle and having to figure out what that is. However, word searches don't hold my interest long, so I can only play a few games, and then I go off to see what other games I have loaded onto the iPad. I'm annoyed that when you finish a game, the app goes straight into the next game instead of pausing and letting you okay the next game. I don't want to play it all afternoon!

Word Warp

My favorite of the three. I've met variations of this one before: it's kind of like Boggle. I could wish I had longer than two minutes to find all the words, but then, the pressure does make the game more interesting. And with each game limited to two minutes, you can play one or two when you have a tiny bit of spare time, but each game has a definite stopping point to it, unlike the other two. This is the one most likely to stay on my iPad after I finish this post.

 

No comments: