Friday, September 5, 2008

in-between thing: facebook

A few days ago, I got a friend request on Facebook from my state representative. I've been procrastinating on responding to it, mostly because I'm in denial that I got it in the first place. Not that I have anything against my representative--indeed, I'm oblivious enough about politics that it took me a while to figure out who this person was who was friending me--but I'm mystified as to how they found me. Since I didn't put my home address in Facebook and I don't think our mutual friend sold me out, I'm left imagining that some poor souls on the representative's staff have been assigned to go through the entire list of registered voters in my district and friend any of us they happen to find on Facebook (and possibly MySpace, but I'm not in a position to check that).

However Representative X or their staff found me, I'm not happy about this. This in and of itself isn't going to drive me off Facebook--I believe my representative is relatively harmless and I'm capable of ignoring unwanted friend requests--but it does leave me musing on those privacy issues that keep popping up around Web 2.0.

No comments: