Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thing 21: Beyond MySpace: Other Social Networks

Uh-oh. More of this here socializing with perfect strangers stuff. Eek!

In a way, Thing 20 was simple. Facebook or MySpace: choose one or the other (or both) and have at it, knowing you're tackling one (or both) of the largest social networking sites. With Thing 21, I feel like I'm overwhelmed by potential. Ning? WebJunction? Bake Space? The Wikipedia list left me feeling a bit lightheaded. My membership in Ravelry counts, right?

So I have dutifully joined the 23 Things on a Stick page on Ning, but like back in May when I first joined Ning for the Midwest Library Technology Conference, I can't think of anything to say (so much for socializing). I'm debating joining Bake Space--thank you for bringing it to my attention; even if I don't choose to play there, I know someone who should know about it. I'm not entirely sure how WebJunction works, so maybe it'll become clear if I join, and I dimly remember telling myself that I'd join LinkedIn when I got to Thing 21. But given what I said in the last post about not being all that interested in socializing unless I have a connection with people in the group, plus the fact that it's just going to take time to keep up with all these groups, I'm not sure how much use I'll make of any of these social networks.

No comments: