Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thing 40: Mashup the Web

Being someone who does a lot of walking in her neighborhood, I started with Walk Score. My neighborhood scored an 82 ("Very Walkable")--not bad at all. By contrast, the neighborhood I grew up in only managed a 35 ("Car-Dependent"). But looking at both maps, I see the mashup isn't taking terrain into consideration. You don't walk to the West 7th library from my apartment: I-35E lies between me and it. Back in my home town, there's a creek and a virtually unscalable river bluff between my childhood home and the amenities, so even that 35 is an overstatement. Nor is personal safety considered: while a previous neighborhood of mine was deemed 91 ("Walkers' Paradise"), let's just say walking there was an act of daring. Perhaps Walk Score should be mashed-up with CrimeReports?

Wheel of Lunch looked more gimmicky--and dizzying--than useful, but Lunchbox seemed quite practical. It might need a data update, though: a nearby Vietnamese restaurant didn't show up in a search for Vietnamese restaurants.

Searching for a mashup on my own, I discovered Reading Radar, a mashup of the New York Times bestseller lists and Amazon.com. What you get are the Amazon.com ratings for bestselling books. People do seem to enjoy the bestsellers: most of them scored around 4 stars. But I rarely read bestsellers, so I can't see myself using this all that often.

I played with Phreetings. It's a nice idea, but the site seemed to be allergic to Internet Explorer, which wasn't a good sign, and finding the instructions wasn't intuitive. But in the end, I managed a postcard.